Sunday, January 1, 2012

The New Year 2012

Happy New Year! 

As I sit here and think about 2011 and what 2012 will bring, I decided that documenting 2012 might be a fun, learning experience for both myself and hopefully for other people too.  I remember reading the day to day journals of rural life in my MaMa Bell's Farm & Ranch Living magazines growing up.  I loved to read about what happened on the ranches and farms across America.  I am hoping that this blog can be somewhat like those early magazine diaries and that this blog will just be a fun diary of our daily or weekly life here on our own few acres of heaven.  Hopefully you will get a laugh or two, maybe a tear, and possibly learn a few things along the way.  I'm not sure how to begin but well, here goes:

Let me introduce myself, I'm Beth! LOL!  I'm married to Patrick, have a son Austin and work at a veterinary clinic.  We live on a small (as my friend Tracy calls her's) "mini-farm".  We have lots of animals around including a cat, 3 dogs, 4 birds, 6 banty chickens, 2 ducks, 1 turkey and 5 crossbred ewe's.  Yes, we do eat some of what we raise like the lamb, chickens, and eggs.  I like to try to keep a garden but most of the time it just turns into a big weed patch with tomato's and onions somewhere in it! We love 4-H and it is a HUGE family affair around here.  I am advisor of my own 4-H club and co-advisor of our local 4-H Junior leader club as well as active with our local Shepard's club.   

We are getting ready for baby lambs to arrive!  It's always a fun time and I usually have to drag Austin from the barn on school nights. Austin is such a big help in the barn when things really get going around here.  All the lambing pens are set up and ready to go.  We are hoping all the ewe's will have twins so that we can sell some for 4-H projects.  It's been a pretty mild late fall and early winter so far but the rain is really making the barn lot a wet mess but we are dealing with it.  There isn't much we can do about it.  Muddy boots are always at the back door and dog's muddy paw prints are all over the floor.  Thank goodness for wood floors and my Swiffer wet jet.  It is definitely getting a work out this time of year! 

Today's weather:
It's Ohio so it is always changing!
Started out at 54 this morning and sunny but windy and now it's down to 32 and snow flurries. It sound's like hurricane force winds out there!!  If it wasn't tied down today it's probably in the next county by now!! 

Well, I hope you had a good first read.  I know it's not the best first blog post but hopefully they will get better the more I get used to writing them.  Have a great night!
Beth

No comments:

Post a Comment